Authentic Italian-style risotto cooked the slow and painful way, but oh so worth it. Complements grilled meats and chicken dishes very well. Check the rice by biting into it. It should be slightly al dente (or resist slightly to the tooth but not be hard in the center).Prep:20 mins
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
In a saucepan, warm the broth over low heat.
Warm 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Remove mushrooms and their liquid, and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet, and stir in the shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, about 2 minutes. When the rice has taken on a pale, golden color, pour in wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed. Add 1/2 cup broth to the rice, and stir until the broth is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat, and stir in mushrooms with their liquid, butter, chives, and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Nutrition Facts
431 calories; protein 11.3g; carbohydrates 56.6g; fat 16.6g; cholesterol 29.3mg; sodium 1130.8mg.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Resting/Cooling Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 3 cups sushi rice It should say "sushi rice" right on the bag. Calrose rice works ok if you can't find sushi rice.
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cups Japanese rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONSPlace the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water with your hand, pour off and repeat 2-3 times or until the water is clear. Rinse a few more times.
After the rice is rinsed, let the rice drain in a colander or strainer for 1 hour.
After the rice has drained, put the rice in the rice cooker with the 3 cups of water, cover, and start.
If you don't have a rice cooker place rice and water in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let rice rest, covered, for 15 additional minutes.
While rice is cooking, prepare the vinegar mixture. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Heat mixture just until the sugar dissolves (do not let it boil). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
When the rice is done cooking, gently spread out the rice over a cookie sheet. Evenly distribute the cooled vinegar mixture over the rice. Gently turn rice over from time to time with rice paddle or wooden spatula so that rice cools evenly.
To speed things up, fan the rice each time you turn it over. When rice has cooled to room temperature, it is ready to use for sushi rolls!
If you want to wait a little bit before making your sushi or while you are making the rolls, you can keep the rice at the right temperature by placing it in a large bowl and covering with a damp kitchen towel.
Recipe from favfamilyrecipes
Cook: 10 m
Ready In: 20 m
Recipe By:Chef John"These classic diner-style hash browns are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside."
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 pinch paprika, or to taste
Shred potatoes into a large bowl filled with cold water. Stir until water is cloudy, drain, and cover potatoes again with fresh cold water. Stir again to dissolve excess starch. Drain potatoes well, pat dry with paper towels, and squeeze out any excess moisture.
Heat clarified butter in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Sprinkle shredded potatoes into the hot butter and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
Cook potatoes until a brown crust forms on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook and stir until potatoes are browned all over, about 5 more minutes.
Printed From Allrecipes.com 3/21/2017
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
Put all indredients except tomatoes in bowl. Mash together well. Add tomatoes and stir.
From Allrecipes.comPrep: 5 m
Cook: 25 m
Ready In: 30 m
"This is an excellent authentic Mexican rice recipe (not to be confused with Spanish rice) that I make as a side dish with all of my Mexican dishes. The key is cooking the rice properly and using good quality chicken broth or stock."
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, halved
In a medium sauce pan, cook rice in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Stir in onion, green pepper, jalapeno, and diced tomato. Season with bouillon cube, salt and pepper, cumin, cilantro, and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes.
Recipes List all
- Apple Crisp II
- Apple Crostata
- Bananas Foster
- Bittersweet Chocolate Souffle
- Black Magic Cake
- Brownies made with Cocoa Powder
- Butter Pie Crust
- Chocolate Pound Cake III
- Chocolate Snowball
- Chunky Cheesecake Brownies
- Creme Brulee (Sous Vide Method)
- Deer Valley’s Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- English Trifle to Die For
- German Apple Cake
- Ice Cream Base
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- Martha's Pound Cake
- Molten Chocolate Cakes
- No-Bake Chocolate Mousse Pie
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
Main Course - Beef
Main Course - Eggs
Main Course - Fish
Main Course - Lamb
Main Course - Pork
Main Course - Poultry
- Chef John's Coq Au Vin
- Chicken and Mushroom Chimichangas
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Marsala
- Chicken Marsala (CI)
- Chicken Piccata
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Tikka Masala
- Cream Filling with Chicken
- Curried Chicken Thighs
- Curried Coconut Chicken
- Madhur Jaffrey's Chicken in a Fried Onion Sauce
- Marcella Hazan's Lemon Roasted Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes Recipe
- Moo Shu Chicken
- Roast Crisped-Skin Turkey
- The Ultimate Crispy Fried Chicken
Main Course - Vegetarian
Sauces & salad dressings