From Stop & Smell the Rosemary (Junior League Houston)
- ½ cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 red bell peppers, roasted (page 40), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 firm pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsely
- freshly ground pepper
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- fresh Italian parsley sprigs
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and sautee 10 minutes. Add carrots and saute an additional 10 minutes. Add potatoes & bell peppers and saute 10 minutes. Add pears, chicken stock, and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 20 minut, vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer in batches to food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with sprigs of parsley.