Use this filling for crepes or tartlets
- 1 1/2 Tb minced shallots or green onions
- 2 Tb butter
- 1 1/4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth or 3 to 4 Tb Madeira or Sherry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 Tb minced fresh herbs such as tarragon or chervil or 1/2 tsp dried tarragon or oregano
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 1/2 Tb flour
- 1 cup boiling liquid (milk plus chicken stock)
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated swiss cheese
Using a 2-quart saucepan or a small enameled skillet, cook the shallots or onions in the butter for a moment over low heat. Stir in the chicken and cook slowly for 2 minutes over low heat. Add the wine. Cover and simmer for 1 minute. Uncover, raise heat, and boil rapidly until liquid has almost evaporated. Season to taste and stir in optional herbs.
In a separate 2-quart saucepan, cook the butter and flour slowly together for 2 minutes without coloring. Off heat, beat in the boiling liquid, pepper, and salt. Boil, stirring for 1 minute.
Beat egg yolk and cream in a bowl. Remove sauce from heat and beat it into the bowl by tablespoons. Return to saucepan and boil, stirring for 1 minute. Sauce should be very thick. Correct seasoning.
Fold the previously prepared chicken, then the cheese into the sauce and check seasoning again. If not used immediately, dot top of sauce with butter to prevent a skin from forming.